Visit our booth or attend our staff-led sessions at these upcoming conferences:
American Library Association (ALA) Annual Conference 2019, Washington, D.C. Jun 21 – Jun 24. Booth # 1953
- DPLA hosted Ebook Innovation Lighting Round
- Discussion group panelist: Dr. Lisa Wadors-Verne, Program Manager, Education, Research and Partnerships, Benetech
- Saturday, June 22, 2:30-3:30 PM. Location: Marriott Marquis, Cherry Blossom.
- Catch up or get up to speed with a fast passed overview of library driven innovation in eBook and eContent delivery. The ALA 2017 lighting round featured updates about how eBooks can support Global Literacy from Benetech, COSLA, ReadersFirst, the Charlotte Initiative, the DPLA Exchange, LYRASIS, Amigos, CALIFA and more
National Federation of the Blind (NFB) National Convention 2019, Las Vegas. Jul 7 – Jul 12. Table # C12
- Bookshare Office Hours: July 10, 2019 at 5:30PM. Room # to be announced.
Book Expo America (BEA), Javits Center, NY.
- “Born Accessible: Why Top Publishers Are Embracing Global Certified Accessible”
- Moderated by: Guillian Hetzler, Digital Content Manager, Bookshare
- Friday, May 31, 2019 at 9:30AM.
- Everybody believes that all readers should have equal access to information regardless of reading barriers like blindness, low vision and dyslexia, but publishers haven’t been able to make their books accessible to everyone until recently. What’s changed? The current publishing requirements for accessibility are now in line with HTML and EPUB 3 formats that many publishers are already using. Only a few simple additions are needed, such as tagging, labeling, metadata, and image descriptions that can be read by screen readers and assistive technology used by people with reading barriers. This panel will explore how top publishers are meeting and exceeding the current WCAG and EPUB 3 standards through the new Global Certified Accessible training and certification program from Benetech, a non-profit that empowers communities with software for social good.
The Family Cafe, The Hyatt Regency Orlando, FL. Jun 7 – Jun 9. Booth #: 605
- “Tools to Help Students with Reading Barriers Succeed in School”
- Presented by: Christine Jones, Associate Director, U.S. Education, Bookshare
- Saturday, June 8, 2019, 2:30-3:30 PM. Room # Bayhill 30.
- When equipped with the right tools, students who struggle with reading can become successful and engaged learners. Come and hear about two valuable resources, Bookshare and Learning Ally, which are free for Florida schools and which help students with learning disabilities, visual impairments and other reading barriers to keep up with their schoolwork and even read for fun!